Monte Argentario is located on the Tyrrhenian coast to the south of the province of Grosseto, in Tuscany.
Monte Argentario is about 25 miles from Camping Costa d'Argento .....
Monte Argentario is a promontory that juts into the Tyrrhenian Sea at the two southernmost islands of the Tuscan Archipelago, the Island of Giglio and Giannutri.
Even the Argentario was born as an island, but over the centuries, the joint action of ocean currents and the river has created two Albegna tomboli, the tombolo of Giannella and Tombolo Feniglia, who joined the island to the mainland, forming while the Lagoon of Orbetello.
The Monte Argentario reaches its highest point at Telegraph Point (635 m) and is characterized by a hilly area and sometimes completely impassable, softened only by man who created the time of the terraces where it is grown mainly screw (Ansonica Argentario Coast). The coastline is indented, offers bays and coves, mostly stony, of great beauty from the natural point of view and is inserted in the whale sanctuary established in 1991 as a marine protected natural area of international interest.
In this context, are part of the two countries, both in seafaring, which form the municipality of Monte Argentario, facing north-west is Porto Santo Stefano, where there is the town hall, while Porto Ercole, the smallest, is south facing east.
The many surrounding islands are accessible from the cape, the islet, the Red Island, the Isle Argentarola, the Formica di Burano, the island of Giglio, Giannutri and Ants of Grosseto.
The promontory, probably inhabited by the Etruscans, he entered the personal property of the family-Enobarbi Domizi obtained as compensation for the amount they lent to the Roman Republic during the Second Punic War, the name probably derives from this act of the mountain, as the family was also known as "Argentariorum" (in ancient Rome were called money lenders), hence the name Mons argentarii.
The upstream and then entered the dowry of the emperors until Constantine in the fourth century gave to the Roman church. In the Middle Ages, partly as a result of less traffic that took place on the Via Aurelia and the gradual silting of the Maremma, these places long remained sparsely inhabited.
In the Middle Ages the mountain follow the fortunes of Orbetello, for which he spent in the domains of Aldobrandeschi, Orsini, of Ladislaus king of Naples and Siena, only to end up under the dominion of the Spaniards in the mid-sixteenth century. These heavily fortified the mountain and the two ports, making it the state of defensive pivot Presidii and reactivating the civil life of these places. The Spaniards, at the time of their domination over these lands, built on the mountain, but also along the entire coast between Talamone and Ansedonia, a series of forts and towers in order to secure control over the Tyrrhenian Sea. Among these are the major Spanish Fortress at Porto Santo Stefano and Philip Forte, Forte Stella and the Rock aldobrandesca in Porto Ercole.
Defeated Napoleon in 1815 the Spanish possessions passed to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany until 1860, when they were annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.
During the Second World War, the centers argentarini were the scene of violent raids that saw many civilians pay with their lives. The harbor of Porto Santo Stefano was completely destroyed and was rebuilt only in the fifties along the waterfront.
Important was the railroad that connected the promontory at the station of Orbetello (and then the rest of Italy) and, after being destroyed by bombs, was never restored.