Saturnia is a hamlet of Manciano, in the hinterland of the Maremma, which sits on top of a hill overlooking the famous hot springs located in the center of the homonymous tourist spa area which extends for a radius of about 30 km between Mount Amiata and the hills Albegna and Fiora.
The resort was built in Roman times the Via Clodia near the Etruscan necropolis of Pian di Palma and hot springs, has been known since, from which he took the name. Ancient consular remain some stones preserved at Porta Romana. The Roman city suffered a severe destruction in the sixth century and began a period of decline.
In the medieval period Saturnia experienced a renaissance thanks to the accounts of Tinkle and, in the thirteenth century, passed to the family Aldobrandeschi, becoming part of the county in 1274 Sovana.
In the fourteenth century was controlled first by the Basques and later the Orsini, a century later came under the control of Siena after a violent destruction and remained there until mid-sixteenth century, when it became part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
The sulphurous water at 37 degrees and a half have known therapeutic properties and are able to donate only to sink into relaxation and wellness. Remarkable is, however, contact with nature, at the same time as the Maremma can be harsh - especially in summer - with colors ranging from dark green to yellow to brown in all shades to almost black.
The scope of the source is about 800 liters per second and this ensures a good water exchange. The water characteristics are described as sulfur, carbon, sulfate, bicarbonate-alkaline, earthy, with gas hydrogen sulfide and carbon dioxide. The minerals are dissolved per liter 2.79 grams.